Tips from the VW Pros of Birmingham on Gas Mileage
Volkswagen is one of the most popular European car brands with a reputation for producing reliable, high-quality vehicles. It is one of the largest carmakers in the world. Getting the most out of your Volkswagen’s gas mileage is important for your wallet and the environment.
As a proud owner of a Volkswagen, you want to make sure that you keep your vehicle as economical and safe as possible while driving on the road. To achieve this, your VW must be properly and regularly maintained at a professional mechanic workshop. A poorly-maintained vehicle is more likely to have some underlying issues that would cause it to consume more fuel than normal.
Things You Can Do to Improve Gas Mileage
Here are some tips from our VW professionals to help you improve your gas mileage and get the most out of your vehicle:
- Keep Your Tires Properly Inflated: Proper tire inflation is essential for maximizing gas mileage. When your VW tire is underinflated, there’s a possibility that it will reduce your vehicle’s fuel efficiency by up to 3%. Make sure you check your tire pressure regularly and keep it at the recommended level listed in your owner’s manual. It is preferable you allow our expert mechanics to check the tire pressure for you.
- Use the Recommended Grade of Oil: Using the recommended grade of oil can improve fuel efficiency and reduce wear and tear on your engine. Check your owner’s manual for the recommended oil grade and have your oil changed regularly to ensure that your engine is running smoothly. A professional VW mechanic can also recommend the best oil quality and oil change interval based on your car model, age, and usage.
- Drive at a Constant Speed: Accelerating in a rush and slamming on the brakes can reduce fuel efficiency. Try to accelerate slowly and steadily, avoiding the need for sudden deceleration in order to get the most out of your gas tank.
- Avoid Idling for long periods of time: Idling your engine for long periods of time in bumper-to-bumper traffic can waste fuel and reduce fuel efficiency. If you’re going to be stopped for more than a minute in traffic or waiting for someone who is inside a convenience store, it’s best to turn off your engine to save fuel.
- Use Overdrive Gears: If your Volkswagen has an overdrive gear, use it to improve fuel efficiency. Overdrive gears help reduce engine speed, which can improve fuel efficiency and extend the life of your engine.
- Avoid Overloading Your Vehicle: Overloading your vehicle can increase the weight your engine has to carry, reducing fuel efficiency. Avoid carrying unnecessary items in your trunk to reduce weight and improve fuel efficiency.
- Use Cruise Control: If your Volkswagen has cruise control, use it to maintain a constant speed and reduce fuel consumption. This can be especially helpful on long trips or on the highway.
- Regular Maintenance: Regular maintenance is essential for maximizing fuel efficiency and ensuring that your Volkswagen is running smoothly. Have your VW serviced regularly, and make sure to keep up with routine maintenance such as oil changes, tune-ups, and tire rotations. Most drivers try to save money by avoiding routine maintenance. This is not a smart idea, though, as doing so would mean not tending to any issues until your VW breaks down or develops a more costly issue. The old saying “nip it in the bud” is true. Fixing a small problem now will save you money on a big problem later.
Franklin Automotive has the Most Reliable VW Pros in Birmingham
Whether you’re driving in the city or on the highway, these tips can help you save fuel and money, and enjoy a more efficient and reliable driving experience. For more tips and advice for your particular car model, you can come to us at Franklin Automotive. Our mechanics are always ready to help you with the maintenance of your priced vehicle. Our technicians are highly trained and make use of the most recent equipment when working on any automobile.
We are the leading car repair shop in Hoover, Homewood, Vestavia, Mountain Brook, Pelham, Trussville, and Birmingham, AL. Do not hesitate to bring your car to us if you are experiencing any issues. Call us now or stop at our workshop to experience our quality service for your VW.